Perth mum’s Bali snake bite nightmare


A PERTH woman is lucky to be alive after she was bitten by a venomous snake in Bali last month.

Renee Cunningham, of Alexander Heights, was on a holiday with her sister when she became violently ill just minutes after stepping on a snake outside her Ubud hotel room on St Patrick’s Day.

“I felt something slimy, and then I looked down and saw it was a snake,” she said.

The mother of three said she was not sure initially whether she had been bitten but within minutes felt an overwhelming pain in her lower leg, which immediately began “blistering and bubbling”.

media_cameraBali snake bite victim Renee Cunningham in hospital.

Five minutes later, Ms Cunningham began vomiting and was rushed by staff at her hotel to a nearby medical centre.

However, because the medical centre did not have the antivenom required, she was taken to the Ubud hospital for treatment.

“By the time I got to the hospital my blood pressure was skyrocketing and I was vomiting and going unconscious,” Ms Cunningham said.

“I was unwell for that whole night, and the antivenom (also) made me unwell.”

Ms Cunningham said that after an overnight stay in the Balinese hospital, she was given antibiotics, steroids and anti-inflammatory medication and she returned to recover in her hotel room.

But it has taken Ms Cunningham almost a month to regain full health.

“I’ve had severe joint pains to the point I haven’t been able to walk properly and my blood pressure kept going up and down, but I’m all right now,” she said.

The 34-year-old believes she would have died without the help she received from the staff at her hotel and the Ubud hospital.

“They all saved me, so I’m very lucky,” she said.

“(Doctors) said there was a three-hour maximum with how sick I got, so if I’d hung around the hotel and thought ‘it will be fine’, I don’t doubt I would have died.”



Source link

Related posts